Sunday, October 18, 2020

The Spider That I Killed This Morning in the Shower


It was there waiting for me
when I pulled back the curtain.

Hiding, silent, unexpected, scuttling into motion,
with the spray of the water

suddenly altering its world of quiet
patience and sleep (if spiders sleep).

Science will say it was more
afraid of me than I was

of it. But I don't know
about that. And philosophy will say 

suffering can produce strength. But after
weighing if I really needed a

shower today, I then remembered psychology
talking about something called a collective 

memory, and so I summoned long-
mouldering cave-ancestors to help muscle

the spider toward its drain. Then,
victorious, I resumed my expected routines.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The People We Stumble Upon in This Portable Magic: Reading in 2023

Books are good company in sad times and happy times, for books are people--people who have managed to stay alive by hiding between the cover...